What is a Zoning Memorandum?

A zoning memorandum is a legal document completed by the CAO/Development Office that confirms if a property is a legal conforming site according to the zoning by-law.  A zoning memorandum can be applied for through the EIPD.

When would I need a zoning memorandum?

Sometimes a zoning memorandum is requested by a lawyer or purchaser of a property.

What do I need to apply for a zoning memorandum?

We require an original Building Location Certificate completed by a Manitoba Land Surveyor, complete with the cover page and the land surveyors seal.  An application form can be obtained through our office and there is an application fee as per our fee schedule by-law.

How long does it take to complete a zoning memorandum?

Our office requires 5 to 7 business days to complete the paperwork.

What if my property doesn't comply?

When an application is received, information such as building permits and history on the property is researched by the Development Officer.  Sometimes a property is deemed "grandfathered", depending on construction dates or when a property was created.  If it is not deemed grandfathered, a variance must be applied for and approved by Council to create a legal conforming site.